The "Real" Way to Write and Deliver a Great Speech Part 1


You may search the Internet and will find very few sources which will tell you the “real” way to write and deliver a good (and even great) speech. Don’t get me wrong, there are the usual academic tips scattered everywhere like the sands on a beach; but the pros that get paid because they have powerful messages and can sway audiences don’t follow those worn out methods.

Over time, in my visits with you here, I will share with

you my rants and raves between my thoughts in 

how you can write, deliver and 

get paid for a great speech. 

My intent here (you’ll find that intent is the very first thing to consider in any writing; me to you, and you to your speaking audience) is to offer ways you’ll find unique to what’s out there.
Yes, learn the basics that are “out there”; the rules and then break them. Don’t break anything until you know the “rules”. You can learn these rules at Toastmasters, school and college courses, night classes, online and even YouTube are great places. Graduate from at least the very first level at Toastmasters to learn confidence and not to use “filler words” like ums and ahs; so you don’t sound like the typical radio talk show host.

And please, don’t think as one of my friends thought (at least if you want to write, deliver and get paid for a great speech) that because she presented to grade schoolers for her city job once every month or two that she didn’t need help; Toastmasters or otherwise.

So you’ve taken (or are taking) speaking courses or you are a member of (or have graduated from) Toastmasters and you are ready to become better to do, be and have more in life from your speaking talent and skills. You’ve come to the right place.

Allow me to introduce myself, offer reasons why you should trust me to guide you along your continual path to speaking “fame” and “riches”.   

I have spoken professionally (meaning I’ve received payment for speaking) for many years; as a public speaker, entertainer and singer having done presentations and performances for everything from private parties, corporate events and workshops for business people; since I was in high school and college (a “few” years back).

I held just about every position in several Toastmaster Clubs (except Treasurer; not my forte) and in every meeting role working myself up to ATM-B and was also the International Division Governor which admittedly sounds like a real big deal, being “International” (which was a big deal; but not a “real” big deal) because the division included the area of northern Minnesota, USA and part of Canada (which “included” some interesting border crossings and material for speeches!). I truly enjoyed everything about Toastmasters and still have great associations with the members past and present though my time hasn’t allowed me visiting privileges.

I taught public speaking on the university level both in class and also online, which was an interesting effort because I never heard any of my student’s speeches but was very confident in grading them accordingly to their ability. (Ask me sometime how I did this).  Teaching Oral Communication online required me actually “creating” the course!

In my physical classroom I insisted that every student attend at least one local Toastmaster meeting and to take notes. They did not have to “participate” if they did not feel comfortable but this way they were “exposed” to the awesome training which is basically free. To become a member is very minimal!




So are Learning Tree, Dale Carnegie and “U of M”; whatever that is, lessor choices than Toastmasters? Not necessarily. They are all good and have their place. Choose one or all over time; but Toastmasters does have a lot of bang for the buck! I don’t see “private coaching” or some other online options here which are also very good and in many cases “better”; but in my humble opinion, only after you’ve learned from one or all of the above.

Many professionals have never been through Toastmasters; just as many millionaires have never gone through college or even graduated from high school. Am I advocating against college or high school; no, but “just sayin’”.


Learn all you can, 

where you can 

and never stop learning. 

Ter Scott, Life & Legacy Coach.


What I don’t know, I continually learn from the “masters”* and pass on to others via books, lectures, training, Meetup groups, and other offline and online venues.

*The masters are those from the past and present who were or are successful in leading movements, help others, get paid high fees and share their knowledge, experience and skills.


I hope to empower you, my reader, over time with these written conversations from time to time. I will share my thoughts on how you can write a good speech, deliver a good speech and get paid well to deliver it; so be sure to return.  



I’m an advocate of learning from everything; everywhere and at any time. These are eulogy speeches but they are also “speeches”; don’t miss that. You can learn from this teacher and transfer the tips from presenting this type of speech over to other types of speeches, audiences, venues and occasions.

Read what he says on his site; the tips, etc. You'll see that Ryan is a very genuine guy; I think you'll like him. His site is pretty "simple" looking but he offers practical and good information to use and learn from. 

Check it out here

Good success! 

Ter Scott!

Comments